The Sarawak Museum was built in 1891 and was extended to its
present form in 1911. The building was especially built to permanently house
and display local native arts and crafts and collections of local animals as
mainly encouraged by the famous naturalist, Alfred Wallace, who was then
collecting specimens in the state.
During the Japanese Occupation, the museum was put under the
direction of a sympathetic Japanese Officer. As a result, the museum suffered
very little damage and remarkably little looting.
Today, with carefully planned renovation and proper
maintenance, this old building is used as the centre to exhibit collections on
the natural history of Sarawak.
No comments:
Post a Comment